Destination College Advising Corps
The UC Berkeley Destination College Advising Corps (DCAC) recruits recent college graduates to serve as full-time College Adviser Fellows in partner schools and sites throughout California. Adviser Fellows take part in an intensive College Advising Boot Camp in the summer prior to their placement and benefit from on-going training and support from seasoned college access professionals. Adviser Fellows spend the next 1-2 years exploring the public service, taking part in local and national research and making college access and preparation available to partner schools, students, parents and their local communities.
In 2007 DCAC was launched as one of the original (National) College Advising Corps chapters funded by the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation. DCAC began with two Advisers in two high schools in Solano county. The following year, DCAC expanded to six Advisers and added San Bernardino county school site partners and program expansion and growth continues.
Today, DCAC expects to provide college access and preparation services to over 40,000 high school students from Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara, San Bernardino and Solano county sites.
"For the past 4 years, I have been honored to be part of the college advising boot camp training program designed and delivered by CEP staff to its almost 40 Adviser Fellows (recent alums trained in college advising and placed full time in high schools with low college going rates). This is one of the most exemplary and comprehensive training curricula that I know of (am familiar with). It integrates engaged pedagogy to put theory into practice and helps Adviser Fellows develop both the practical and reflective skills necessary to successfully serve low-income, first generation students and their families. I truly enjoy coming to Berkeley to be able to participate in this high quality program."
--Dr. Dwayne Cantrell, Associate Vice President for Student Access & Support Services, CSU Northridge
DCAC activities help support our partner schools’ efforts to increase their college enrollment rates and the program serves as a resource for all the students attending the partner school.
- College Information and Financial Aid Workshops
- Drop-in College Advising
- Parent/Family Events
Individual Student Activities
DCAC enrolls a cohort of 150 high school students at each of our partner high school sites. Activities include intensive and on-going college preparation and advising support. DCAC students submit an enrollment application to join DCAC. Applications are available from the College Adviser at the site.
- Individual Academic Advising and College Planning
- Transcript Evaluations
- ACT/SAT Registration and Preparation
- College Application Assistance
- Financial Aid and Scholarship Application Assistance
- College Campus Visits
District, Community and Family Activities
DCAC provides college preparation support to our local communities by partnering with local youth and family service agencies.
- College Preparation and Financial Aid Workshops
- College/Financial Aid/Scholarship informational Handouts, Brochures, Applications, etc.
EAST BAY REGION
DCAC launched in the San Francisco East Bay region in 2008 with seed funding from the Doris and Donald Fisher Fund. The regional expansion established a partnership with UC Berkeley’s Early Academic Outreach Program and UC Berkeley’s School/University Partnership and currently has the largest number of Adviser Fellows placed throughout Alameda and Contra Costa counties. The two CEP partner programs manage the day-to-day operations and provide training and support to the Adviser Fellows. The East Bay region has established strong community partnerships with the West Contra Costa College Access Network, the African American Male Initiative and the East Bay College Fund.
Hayward USD (EAOP Partner Sites)
- Mt. Eden HS: Kassandra Perez Camacho, k_perez [at] berkeley.edu
- Tennyson HS: Javier Hernandez, jphernan [at] berkeley.edu
Aspire Public Schools
- Lionel Wilson Preparatory Academy: Omar Padilla-Magana, opadilla99 [at] berkeley.edu
KIPP (SUP Partner Site)
- KIPP King: Oliver Pascua, oupascua [at] berkeley.edu
- Castlemont HS: Daishar Young, daisharyoung [at] berkeley.edu
- Oakland HS: Christopher Sconiers-Flores, csconiers [at] berkeley.edu
- Oakland Technical HS: Ziada Keflezighi, zkeflezighi [at] berkeley.edu
- Skyline HS (EAOP Partner Site): Danielle Armstrong, daniarmstrong [at] berkeley.edu
San Leandro USD (EAOP Partner Site)
- San Leandro HS: Nadia Elhawary, nadiaelha [at] berkeley.eduasalas [at] berkeley.edu
San Lorenzo USD (EAOP Partner Site)
- San Lorenzo HS: Gina Saechao, gsaechao10 [at] berkeley.edu
UCB Center for Young Entrepreneurs at Haas (YEAH) (SUP Partner Site)
- Althea Jardeleza, ajardeleza [at] berkeley.edu
West Contra Costa County USD (EAOP Partner Sites)
- De Anza HS: Jessica Thach, jessicathach [at] berkeley.edu
- EL Cerrito HS: Moses Henriquez, moseshenriquez1 [at] berkeley.edu
- Hercules HS: Denzale Johnson, denzalej [at] berkeley.edu
- Kennedy HS: Devan McFadden, dmcfadden [at] berkeley.edu
- Pinole HS: Julie Nguyen, julie_nguyen [at] berkeley.edu
- julie_nguyen [at] berkeley.eduRichmond HS: Joanna Morales-Fernandez, joanna.moralesf [at] berkeley.edu
SAN JOSE REGION
DCAC began supporting the San Jose region in 2008 with initial funding from the Donald and Doris Fisher Fund and a new partnerships with UC Berkeley’s School/University Partnerships. SUP provides training and support to the eleven San Jose DCAC Adviser Fellows. Adviser Fellows are placed in San Jose USD sites and Eastside USD high schools. DCAC has become an integral partner in the county’s highly successful College Day.
Claudia Morales, moralesc [at] berkeley.edu
Melissa Rueda, ruedam [at] berkeley.edu
Ana Rangel, a_rangel [at] berkeley.edu
DCAC Adviser Fellows
San Jose USD
- Gunderson HS:
- Mayra Garcia Hernandez, mvgarcia [at] berkeley.edu
- Lindsey Luna, lindseyluna [at] berkeley.edu
- Leland HS: Mahitha Rao, mahithar [at] berkeley.edu
- Lincoln HS : Angelie Lopez, lopez.cristal [at] berkeley.edu
- Pioneer HS: Hazel Barrera, hbarrera [at] berkeley.edu
- San Jose HS:
- Cecilia Martinez, ceciliamartinez [at] berkeley.edu
- Gabriel Rodriguez, Jr., rodriguezg [at] berkeley.edu
- Willow Glen HS:
- Monica Osegura, rodriguezg [at] berkeley.edu
- Alejandra Acosta, aacosta [at] berkeley.edu
East Side USD
- Yerba Buena HS: Wilton Marin, marinw [at] berkeley.edu
- James Lick HS: Hannah Hamley, hhamley [at] berkeley.edu
- Mt. Pleasant HS: Yesenia Escobar, yeseniaescobar [at] berkeley.edu
- Oak Grove HS: Brittany Alba, brittany.kanani [at] berkeley.edu
- Overfelt HS: Cristal Lopez, lopez.cristal [at] berkeley.edu
SOLANO COUNTY REGION
DCAC began in Solano County with two school sites in the city of Vallejo. DCAC currently places four advisers in three different school districts and partners with UCB’s Solano County Educational Consortium (Cal-SOAP) and the UCB Early Academic Outreach Program. DCAC and its partner programs are key players in providing college access preparation to the entire county. Partnership activities Cash for College events throughout the county, College Day with St. Mary’s Catholic Church and the Vacaville USD, and the largest college fair in the county that brings over 2,000 students and parents to meet with over 40 colleges and universities.
Teresa Ramirez, tramirez [at] berkeley.edu
Stephanie Bowens, sl.bowens [at] berkeley.edu
DCAC Adviser Fellows
Dixon USD (SCEC Partner Site)
- Dixon HS: Kaysi Wheeler, kcwheeler [at] berkeley.edu
Vacaville USD (SCEC Partner Sites)
- Vacaville HS: Olivia De La O, odelao [at] berkeley.edu
- Will C. Wood HS: Jessica Elizabeth Siasoco, jesiasoco [at] berkeley.edu
Vallejo City USD (EAOP Partner Site)
- Jesse Bethel HS: Kiana Fox, kiana92 [at] berkeley.edu
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA REGION
DCAC has been serving the Inland Empire since 2008. Currently, six DCAC Adviser Fellows are placed in five Victor Valley Joint Union High School District and in San Bernardino High School. DCAC SoCal Region has helped to increase private and out of state college representatives to the region and supports various events such as the LA Cash For College and other community-based events that support the entire region. DCAC has established regional partnerships with K-16 Bridge, the College Board and Meet My College.
Kimberly Balderamma, kbalderrama [at] berkeley.edu
DCAC Adviser Fellows
San Bernardino City USD
- San Bernardino HS: Jeffrey Torres, jeffrey.torres [at] berkeley.edu
Victor Valley Joint USD
- Adelanto HS: Jazmin Sandoval, sandovalj [at] berkeley.edu
- Cobalt Institute of Math and Science: Aries Jaramillo, ariesjaramillo [at] berkeley.edu
- Silverado HS: Stephanie Suarez, stephysuarez [at] berkeley.edu
- University Prep: Rosa Martin, rosamartin [at] berkeley.edu
- Victor Valley HS: Maria Gonzalez, gonzalezm [at] berkeley.edu