School/University Partnerships (SUP)
Over 26,000 students are served annually through school-wide and systemic change programs offered by School/University Partnerships. SUP helps build college-going culture by working closely with teachers, counselors, administrators and families.
School/University Partnerships’ innovative programs open doors to college in many ways, such as: helping K-12 school teachers and counselors inspire ALL students to prepare for college; bringing multi-lingual and culturally appropriate college preparation information and resources to local neighborhoods for students and their families; and providing curriculum and technical assistance for students, teachers, counselors and community based organizations serving young people of all ages.
We believe that all students deserve to be prepared for a successful future. Therefore, School/University Partnerships is committed to supporting school districts, educational institutions spanning K-16, and communities to ensure that every student has the knowledge of and access to post secondary options throughout their academic careers. We honor the centrality of the school and the significance of the family in influencing students’ educational journeys to college and careers.
Objectives and Services of School/University Partnerships:
- Consult with districts, schools, and communities to create and foster a college-going culture that helps students meet their academic potential
- Collaborate with families to increase college-going and success, including the creation and distribution of multi-lingual materials.
- Create a seamless educational system with close collaboration among all school levels and institutions from Kindergarten to College
- Create and distribute electronic and printed tools and materials that enhance a college-going culture, such as College Tools for Schools and Kindergarten to College.
- Design and disseminate college-going curriculum from elementary through high school, such as Realizing the College Dream and Believing the College Dream.
- Provide professional development on strategies and resources for raising student expectations and ensure successful student transitions between school levels from Kindergarten to College.
- Support schools with evaluation strategies that help them maximize their resources and apply the University’s research expertise to the everyday needs of teachers, families and communities.
Transfer Scholars Program (TSP) (formerly “High School to Community College”)
The Transfer Scholar’s Program works with high school counselors, school staff, and college access programs, in partnership with community colleges, to build successful pathways from high school to community college and from community college to four-year post secondary institutions. The focus of TSP is in developing best practices, providing training, and developing materials to ensure student success in community college.
The Fisher Counseling Initiative (Made possible through the generosity of the Doris & Donald Fisher Fund)
In order to increase college access and re-envision the role of middle and high school counselors as leaders in championing college and career going culture, SUP:
· Partners with three graduate Counselor Education programs to provide fellowships and training for PPS candidates
· Provides professional development for current counselors, and
· In collaboration with Destination College Advising Corps, trains and places recent Cal graduates as college advisors in high-need middle and high schools.
To learn more about programs and services of the School/University Partnerships, please visit:
College Tools for Schools – a unique website of college-going resources directed to California teachers, counselors and administrators; it also provides links to family resources for college-going.
Kindergarten to College – for comprehensive resources and curriculum (currently being revised)
Phone: (510) 643-9206
Assistant Director and San Francisco Regional Manager
Phone: (510) 851-1834
Dr. Claudia Canizales Aguilar
Director of Counselor Education
Phone: (510) 643-1948
Regional Manager - Solano County
Phone: (707) 718-3126
Partnership Coordinator, Community College
Phone: (510) 642-5493
Partnership Coordinator, San Jose Regional Manager
Phone: (408) 834-2305